Thursday, February 24, 2011

Fast Food . . .

I will start out by saying that I am not a fast food junkie. But I do eat it on occasion especially since I am absolutely surrounded by fast food at work and sometimes daycare lunches leave a bit to be desired. I do like to bring my own lunch and I try to make sure I have leftovers from dinner for the next day's lunch.

A few months ago I read the article about the pink chicken nugget mush that they extrude from chicken meat so that they can use every little piece of "food" possible from the chicken over at Huffington Post (and everywhere else). And that picture is just plain NASTY. But it gets worst . . . "There's more: because it's crawling with bacteria, it will be washed with ammonia... Then, because it tastes gross, it will be reflavored artificially. Then, because it is weirdly pink, it will be dyed with artificial color." Really??!! Um no thank you.

Since that time I have outlawed chicken nuggets at my house. When the children balked about it, I showed them the picture. We talked about what we are putting in our bodies. They no longer ask. In fact, they tell others that we don't eat that nasty stuff! Woot.

Since that time I have just been nastied-out by fast food in general. I have never seen "Super-size Me" but I have been told I should watch it. I really have no desire to. I know it will make me mad. The things these corporations do in order to get people "addicted" to their food pisses me off. We are a society of convenience and I know that's where it started, but the fat, the calories, the sugars, the portion sizes . . . ugh! I know it is a choice everyone makes, but I also know that their marketing strategies leave a bad taste in my mouth. I have always argued with my kids about those stupid toys . . .

My hatred for McDonalds has definitely grown over the last few months and in turn has aspilled over into other fast food chains. I rarely visit any fast food any longer and it almost makes me sick thinking about doing so. I will say that while I hate the corporate giant of McD's I still get my fountain soda from the store directly across the street from my work . . . I know, I know baby steps here!!! I can only work on banishing one evil from my diet at a time! (After the article I read about gas station soda fountains being covered with germs I like the no-touch machine at McDs!) Soda is next on my list . . . I swear.

Yesterday I rea this article about McDonalds and their "healthy choices" oatmeal. It signifies everything that is wrong in their world. Take a minute and read it. My favorite quote is "The bottom-line question is, “Why?” Why would McDonald’s, which appears every now and then to try to persuade us that it is adding “healthier” foods to its menu, take a venerable ingredient like oatmeal and turn it into expensive junk food? Why create a hideous concoction of 21 ingredients, many of them chemical and/or unnecessary? Why not try, for once, to keep it honest? "

3 comments:

:)De said...

I must admit that I was a burger kind junkie! Big Time! About 8 years ago I gave it up for lent and just never went back. It was hard! As for the oatmeal, I did try it as I really like oatmeal. Then I went home and diced up some apples, added raisins, dried cherries and made my own plain, simple oatmeal. The kids love it! No need to go back to Micky D for that.

Good job on eating healthier. It can be hard, but so much better.

Peace

Phil Marx said...

I worked for three months in a meat packing plant in Nebraska. One day a supervisor pulled me off the production line, told me to grab one of the scoop shovels we used to clean the sludge off the floor, and follow him to another room. A forklift had dropped several large boxes full of ground beef. We used the shovels to scoop the meat into 50# boxes that looked like they were ready to ship out.

We were also instructed by our supervisors that if we ever spotted an abscess to get rid of it before the inspectors saw it. This avoided the unnecessary delay of having to shut down the line to sterilize the area.

And don't even ask me about my first job working at a hotdog stand when I was a kid. I'll just say this, once you cover a dog with coney sauce you really have no way of knowing what lies beneath.

Missy said...

I read that and showed my boys. They said, "So!"
How disgusting....